Power Supplies: Power for your projects
- What’s the difference between 9V, AAA, AA, C, and D
- Battery chemistry
- Carbon/zinc, lead/acid, Ni/Cd, Ni/Mh, Lithium/?
- Converting a line voltage to a lower voltage
- Voltage drop on internal resistance
- How much current will they deliver?
- Depends on how much your circuit wants, and NOT on the power supply (I=V/R)
- But, power supplies have limits to how much current they can deliver:
- Linear: transformer magnetic saturation
- Switching power supplies often, but not always, have a circuit which shuts down the supply if the load demands too much current
- How can you tell the two apart?
Make a lower voltage from a higher voltage with voltage regulators
- LDO regulator
- What does it do with the excess voltage?
- P = V * I
- Works on any power supply (including batteries) so handy for regulating an unregulated supply (but be aware of the drop out voltage)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.